Thursday 4 September 2008

Making resouces visible to Google....

May 14, 2008

A new use for the repository has been mooted; as a place to collect research papers. Makes sense to put these into one place, but obviously it needs to be found by the outside world. Herein lies the catch: Google has recently pulled support for OAI-PMH, the standard way for a repository to reveal its contents to wandering search engines.

They have their own way of doing things similar to submitting an RSS feed (which IntraLibrary can do), but it will need a couple of days to read the documentation and at worst a couple more to bend the code to mein will. (I say this not knowing how it will happen, but I have the inkling that it'll be easier than some of the code diving that I've done that definitely did not have a guaranteed solution - and I trust my instincts) The only sticking point is that I can't definitively claim it's possible without a working example - if I gamble, there's the chance of a few long nights when I can't afford them - and other projects are trying to catch my attention.

If the problem gets really nasty, I'll have to dig out the URLs for the objects myself which means getting up to my elbows in XML ... but Team, you're worth it. Wink

So my official line is, "Of course it's possible. I'll try and have a look at it next week"

Keywords: Google, intraLibrary, OAI-PMH, repository

Posted by Boyd @ Keele Pathfinder Team

No comments: